St. Patrick’s Vs Dumbarton Utd – 2004

  • May 19, 2019

St. Patrick’s 7 – 1 Dumbarton Utd

We took on Dumbarton Utd in the League Cup quarters today. The game was well attended on a dull but mild day. With the league over the boys had the opportunity to enjoy some more football before the summer break. The mood was jovial, but the focus was palpable. Not even an unexpected and sudden nose bleed in the locker room could distract from the preparations.

We started well, confidently building up to gaining control of the proceedings. In these initial exchanges, Dumbarton were hard to break down. On the occasions when we managed to get through on goal, their keeper would repel attempt after attempt. A quarter into the first half and the visiting keeper had the man of the match award in the bag. At the other end Joe had to be vigilant. He promptly recovered from a potentially embarrassing situation and went on to safely see us through the half. We would open up Dumbarton with some great interplay.  At long last one of those plays came up trumps. Mairtin picked up the ball just outside the eighteen yards, drove from centre to the left side then put the ball through to Ricky who snapped up the pass and slammed it past the keeper from the tightest of angles. With “Houdini” in the Dumbarton goals finally brought to his knees, our show took shape. Five minutes after breaking the deadlock we finished off a great move to increase our lead. Dylan took a throw-in from right back to Aidan who moves the ball on to Mairtin. Mairtin promptly found Ben with a fantastic ball to the left wing. Ben latched on to the ball, and goes on to beat the keeper. Little did the Dumbarton keeper know then that he’d be seeing more and more of Ben. It didn’t take long. In fact, it took just five minutes. The ball was moved into the opposition’s half. It found its way to Ricky who had drifted to the left wing. Ricky held it up then laid it off into Ben’s as he came inside from the left. Ben then moved the ball to his right foot, mimicked a feint then lifted his head up, struck the ball with an exquisite right into the top left corner, leaving the keeper rooted to spot. It was a brilliant and unstoppable strike. We went to the break comfortable, but still had a game to win.

We went back intent on killing the game off. However, like many times this season we let ourselves down by gifting a goal to the visitors within seconds of the restart. Playing from the back we became overconfident in possession and the pass went straight to the Dumbarton striker who lifted the ball into the empty net with the keeper out of position. The travelling support celebrated in full voice hoping this goal would kickstart a great come back. But for a while the two teams nullified each other. We had to wait until half way through the second half before overwhelming the opposition. Dylan charged up the field, drove through deep into enemy territory before releasing Euan at the edge of the penalty box on the right. Euan ran on to the ball from the defender’s blind side, collected the pass and struck a low ball past the diving keeper to the fury of the visitors who had held firm until now. Dumbarton were then caught with a quick attack from the left wing with an energetic Ben fed Euan wide on the left. Euan drove towards goal then cuts back to Tyler at the second post to score. The response was immediate from the visitors. Their player bravely took it upon himself to drive his team on. He literally charged through our defence, riding challenge after challenge. Before we knew it he was one on one with Lennon. He side-footed the ball towards the empty net, but out of nowhere appeared Ollie, like a knight in green and white armour to clear. What followed truly did Ollie’s clearance justice. Dumbarton were punished for their audacity with one of the most devastating counters to take the wind out of anybody’s sails. Beau won the ball in our penalty area then ferociously charged up the field on approach of the opposition defence he released Ben on the left. Ben controlled the ball on the run before beating the hapless keeper and record a brilliant hat-trick. The quality of the play was applauded by the admiring public. A minute later Ben rounded off a great individual performance with another strike from outside the box. Aidan laid the ball off to Ben who instantly struck past the keeper to kill off Dumbarton’s feint hopes.

The team’s overall performance today was very positive. There were a few great individual performances, most notably Ben’s positive approach to the game. He displayed a fantastic and positive attitude right through the game and was rightly rewarded with a bucketful of strikes. It is hoped that he enjoyed his performance as much as we did… Well done!!

No Replies to "St. Patrick’s Vs Dumbarton Utd – 2004"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK