St. Patrick’s Vs St. Rochs – 2004

  • March 10, 2019

St. Patrick’s 5 – 1 St. Rochs

It was forecasted sleet showers, wind, rain, snow and sunny spells. Within the space of the 80 minutes played we experienced all of them. Thank the Lord and the helpful parents for the hot brew on offer to help fight the cold. St. Rochs were the visitors today in an unusual black kit.

The dark clouds had cleared up for kick off. However for Ollie, trapped by heavy snowfall through the night, the game was a miss. For the first few minutes St. Rochs actually seemed the most adventurous side. They forced a couple of corners before we got to grips with the game and settled down. Slowly we gained control and confidently asserted our authority on the proceedings. We came close to breaking the deadlock but had to be patient. The breakthrough finally came just before half way through the first half. Gallagher drove inside from the right wing and then released a through ball that caught the Rochs’ defence by surprise to find Ben. Ben beat the offside trap, controlled and then with a feint sends the keeper the wrong way to score. The goal was received with relief after a period in the ascendancy. The second goal followed five minutes later, Gallagher the provider once again. He delivered a great corner kick into the danger area for Dom & Euan to attack. Euan’s glanced header connected to send the ball into the goal. However, the ball went through a tear in the net causing brief confusion to the watching crowd. The referee confirmed the goal pointing to centre. We were in full flow and were very unlucky not to add to our tally. Brilliant interplay from midfield to the mouth of the opposition goals was saved by the keeper’s legs. But against the run of play St. Rochs pulled a goal back, capitalising on a poorly defended corner. A couple of minutes later our lead was restored. Mairtin drove on to the left wing, found himself in space and delivered the perfect cross into the penalty area. Euan rose in sync, and with the perfect hang time headed the ball down in the direction it came from and into the bottom corner. We went to half time leading by a couple of goals.

At the restart Joe in goals made way for Lennon. Up front Ricky took over from Euan. Reilly came on for Dom. We created a couple of great openings to put the game beyond the visitors. But we failed to take our chances. Instead we conceded a penalty 15 minutes into the second half. Lennon stood strong and guessed right, promptly pulling off a brilliant save from the spot. We recovered and four minutes later increased our lead. Reilly from the right finished off some great work with a fantastic pass to Ben who struck a thunderous shot into the roof of the net. Unfortunately, we once again made it difficult for us. Another penalty was conceded, after being adjudged to have put hands on the back of an opposition player, a push from the back. But luck was on our side as the spot kick was placed wide. We survived and went on to strike again just before the end of the game. Reilly pressed the keeper’s pass to his defender deep in the right wing. His pressing paid off as the hasty clearance from the defender was cut out by Gallagher who found Reilly. Bearing on goal with only the keeper to beat, Reilly rolled the ball on unselfishly to Ben to tap into the empty net for a well deserved hat-trick.

Another week of good work in training, despite the poor weather, culminating in a good result at the weekend. The hard work will continue as we shape the team’s play to match our philosophy and vision. This of course means, no rest for wicked….!

No Replies to "St. Patrick’s Vs St. Rochs – 2004"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK