Lochgilphead Red Star Vs St. Patrick’s – 2004

  • October 28, 2019

Lochgilphead Red Star 6 – 5 St. Patrick’s

A trip to Lochgilphead was an opportunity for a picturesque journey to the west of Scotland. It was a nice sunny morning as we left. Scotland glistened as we took in the views along the way. But as we approached our destination the heavens opened, typical Scotland. Even the sight of palm trees from Crarae Garden could not make up for the sudden weather change.

The game kicked off on time and for a while both teams held their own. But the pendulum was about to swing Lochgilphead’s way. Urged on by a fervent local support the hosts capitalised on some hard work on the right and went on to open the score to the delight of their support. The lead lasted only a couple of minutes before Mairtin found Euan who found his range, holding off the last defender to bring us level. We had barely  drawn level when the hosts took the lead again. We stayed in the game until the last ten minutes before the break. We gave away a free kick outside the box and the hosts took full advantage. Not content with that, a poor clearance gifted them an easy goal. We went to the break with a lot to ponder.

At the restart we clearly had a mountain to climb. A positive team talk and we were back out with minimal personnel changes. The game went on with unabated intensity. Momentum was on our side if only we could convert it into goals. Ben beat his defender and was brought down in the box. Penalty! Ricky stepped up to score and reduce the hosts’ advantage. A minute later unfortunately we conceded a controversial penalty. Although Owen put in a great tackle to clearly win the ball, he was penalised for a two-footed challenge. The hosts were relieved to extend their lead. But they could do nothing with our next move. Dylan picked out Mairtin on the left who immediately put Michael through who went on to beat the keeper. A couple of minutes later, Michael took a short corner with Ricky before promptly crossing the ball for Euan to head past the keeper at close range. We had the hosts rattled and a tense support could barely watch. Now there was only one goal in it. The comeback was looking most likely. It took three minutes after the last goal, Ricky put Harald through to score. With the score tied the local support was muted and could hardly believe it. We carved out a couple chances to win it but were thwarted by brilliant saves from the local keeper. However a corner to the hosts was headed into the net to the great delight of the home crowd. The hosts defended their gain as hard as they could. As for us, frustration with tackles caused indiscipline to set in with two reds dished out with only a few minutes left on the clock.

Today’s game laid bare the bad, the good and the ugly. We will certainly ensure we eradicate the bad and the ugly and turn the good to great. Our thanks to Lochgilphead for the hospitality and a very special mention to the referee who only accepted half of the fee in support of grassroots youth football. We are extremely grateful!

No Replies to "Lochgilphead Red Star Vs St. Patrick's – 2004"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK