Erskine YFC Vs St. Patrick’s – 2004

  • February 8, 2020

Erskine YFC 4 – 2 St. Patrick’s

If we thought the rebuilding process would be smooth, then this week proved how tough a challenge we have ahead of us. We travelled to Erskine in the Regional with a skeleton squad still eager to compete at all costs and keep the dream alive.

Still counting the cost of the previous game, we had to do without Michael and Euan. Dom came out of rehabilitation to do the team a solid. Our recruitment drive was rewarded with a couple of players who joined the ranks and were immediately drafted in for a baptism of fire to remember. The game was well poised for long periods of time. Erskine had come close on a number of occasions but failed to capitalise. We rode our luck but were able to contain the hosts when our play came together. However, those moments were far and few in between. Our offensive link up play was unusually sparse to truly threaten Erskine back line. Instead, with thirty two minutes on the clock we failed to deal with a cross and the hosts took full advantage to open the scoring. A minute later they doubled the score as we recovered from the first setback. We went to the break trailing.

At the restart Ethan came on for Jack. We gave ourselves a mountain to climb when the hosts were literally gifted a goal within seconds of the restart. The goal finally jolted us into action. Suddenly our play was given purpose and direction. The hosts were duly challenged and they stood firm. But when Ben pushed the challenge further he was brought down and the referee promptly pointed to the spot. Ben picked himself up to convert the penalty and crown a brilliant effort. Re-energised we pushed for more. Shots from distance left the host keeper untroubled. It took a great run from Harald to draw out the defence before he slipped the ball through to Oscar, who stretched his left foot to poke the ball away from the last defender and into the net. For a while the comeback looked likely with the boys bravely taking the game to the hosts. Unfortunate technical fouls hampered our flow and the game ended in a bit of confusion. An injury time goal was awarded as the ball was adjudged to have crossed the line. In the grand scheme it wouldn’t have mattered as the game was over with hosts safely through to the next round.

As for us, the journey continues. Week by week challenges need to be overcome while character is shaped for life in the tough lane. But the true test of character is how to celebrate the victories and endure the loses. So, let’s be comforted in knowing that along the way, regardless of how tumultuous it gets, there will be others willing to join us in our journey.

No Replies to "Erskine YFC Vs St. Patrick’s - 2004"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK